Google launches Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones; price starts at Rs. 57,000 in India
After tons of leaks and rumours, Google has officially launched the much awaited smartphones – Google Pixel and Google Pixel XL yesterday at the big Google Pixel event in San Francisco. Both these smartphones will be available for pre-orders on Flipkart from 13th October in India.
Along with these two new smartphones, the company also unveiled some bunch of smart software and hardware products such as Google Home, Google Wi-Fi router, 4K Chromecast Ultra and Daydream VR headset.
Talking about the Google Pixel and Pixel XL, these are the first smartphones made entirely by Google under Pixel branding, which means the company has worked on its hardware as well as software. Google has ditched the Nexus branding. The Google Pixel and Google Pixel XL are aimed to target the newly launched Apple iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus and Samsung smartphones as well.
But, what are the unique factors that will differentiate these smartphones from others. Let’s have a look at some of the highlights of these Google smartphones:
- Both the Google Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones are built using an aerospace-grade aluminum unibody design with polished glass combination.
- The Google Pixel and Pixel XL are the first smartphones to come with Google Assistant built-in, which can be launched simply by tapping the home button. The Google Assistant replaces Google now with even more functionality than ever before.
- Google is touting Pixel and Pixel XL’s camera as the best ever packed into a smartphone. Google is even using DxoMark score of 89 in order to prove the mettle of its smartphone’s cameras.
- With Google Pixel and Pixel XL, Google is offering unlimited online storage for photos and videos in Google Photos. The Pixel owners can store everything in full resolution.
- Google is calling the fingerprint sensor as ‘Pixel imprint’ which is placed on the rear panel with quick access to all apps, texts and emails. Google is introducing Moves, which offers notifications right from the fingerprint sensor.
- Google Pixel and Pixel XL support quick charging offering 7 hours of battery life in just 15 minutes of charging.
- With your Pixel smartphones, a Google support expert is just a tap away. Just open the Settings on your device and tap the Support tab. You can even share your screen with an expert who will walk you step-by-step to a solution.
As far as specifications are concerned, the Google Pixel and Pixel XL share almost similar specs except screen size and battery. The Google Pixel has 5-inch Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) AMOLED display with a pixel density of 441 ppi, while the Google Pixel XL has a 5.5-inch Quad HD (1440 x 2560 pixels) AMOLED display with a pixel density of 534 ppi, both with Corning Gorilla Glass 4 protection The Google Pixel is backed by a 2770 mAh battery and the Pixel XL is backed by a bigger 3450 mAh battery, both with fast-charging support.
Both these smartphones are powered by a Quad-core Snapdragon 821 processor with two cores clocked at 1.6 GHz and two cores clocked at 2.15 GHz clubbed with Adreno 530 GPU. The processor is paired with 4 GB of LPDDR4 RAM. On the photography front, both have a 12.3-megapixel rear camera with f/2.0 aperture, phase detection auto-focus, dual-LED (dual tone) flash, 4K video recording and an 8-megapixel front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture, 1/3.2″ sensor size, 1.4 µm pixel size and 1080p video recording. Both comes in two storage variants 32 GB and 128 GB with no memory card slot.
The Google Pixel and Pixel XL come with Google’s Daydream VR headset support taking you into the whole new Virtual World. The phones will also, naturally, ship with Google’s new video calling and messaging app Duo and Allo pre-installed. Both runs on Android 7.1 Nougat and come with USB Type-C and includes the 3.5 mm audio jack as well.The Pixel imprint is mounted on the rear panel.
The Google Pixel has been priced at Rs. 57,000 for 32 GB variant and Rs. 66,000 for 128 GB variant. Whereas, the Google Pixel XL has been priced at Rs. 67,000 for 32 GB variant and Rs. 76,000 for 128 GB variant.
Google Pixel and Pixel XL come in Quite Black, Very Silver colors along with a limited edition Really Blue variant, which is exclusive to the US. In addition to Flipkart, it will also be available from Reliance Digital, Croma, Vijay sales and over other 1000 organized and multi-brand retail stores in the coming time.